Top “Five” Tuesday: Tropes I hate to love
Hello fellow bookworms, I hope you all had an amazing Memorial Day weekend!
We all have a guilty pleasure when it comes to tropes. It’s the ones that you roll your eyes at but cannot seem to keep away from. The one that gives you those stupid little butterflies and smile when you read them. You know the ones I’m talking about.
Some of my favorite books have tropes I scoff at but end up loving. Granted, you’ll hear me yell at the characters, comment on how stupid they are being, but I guess if you aren’t vocal with the book, can you really say you’re into it?
My top 5 hate to love tropes are:
- Love Triangle| Reverse Harems – The level of stress these cause me is real. Especially when who they need to choose is obvious! I just want to strangle the main character and yell “OPEN YOUR EYES!”
- Enemies/Bully to Lover – This trope gets me every time. I’ll always start with “Ugh, don’t choose them, they’re an a****le” and then end up being like “Omg, give him a shot, he’s just misunderstood!”
- Childhood Friend to Lover – Back to stress inducing tropes. This is one trope where I’m always conflicted. “He never saw you before, why now?” is always my first thought but I cannot stay away.
- One and Only/ Love at first sight – It sweet but completely nerve-wracking. Insta-love books always leave a bittersweet taste in my mouth.
- Lion and Lamb – Who honestly can stand the Mary sue/lamb like character? But there is something about it that causes me to enjoy it most of the time. Maybe it’s when the lamb grows throughout the book to be as strong/stronger than the lion? Or maybe it’s when the lion learns to be vulnerable like the lamb? I don’t know what it is but it’s a stress I gladly put up with.
What tropes do you hate that you love? Let me know in the comments below or tag me on your post! I would love to know!